For the Google Wave meetup we in Copenhagen today, we did all the planning regarding the meeting in a wave. It did not work out. It was only three participants how showed up to the meetup, and it was all the presenters or organizers. I hope that it is just the weather, but think there could also be some part of the wave usage that could be different.
We did some mistakes that I will probably do again, but at least try to avoid.
- First we did a survey about when to have the meeting, and we had to change the time because it did not fit with the schedule of university where the event should be held.
- I also asked people to contribute and participate in create an agenda. Most people are not interested in giving presentations, but instead what to learn. Which is why the meeting is taking place.
- We did not send out reminder mails. It would probably be a good idea to send out reminder mails to all the involved participants in the wave a day or two before. Many people may have mute the wave so they don’t see it as a reminder that an upcoming event is taking place.
- Did not have a clear RSVP where people could indicate that they were going to attend.
So next time we are going to plan a meetup. We will create an agenda and a place a head of time and then add people to sign up to the event. I if they want then people can contribute to the agenda if they want more topics.
I will also send an email to all persons how have indicated that they would like to come or are coming. That will for me sometimes make it easier to attend.
Planning meetings might be something that will be much easier to do in 12sprints, since you have a much more controlled environment for creating decisions.
I talked with Jacques Holst about planning, and he said the web never had been a one communication strategy. I think we have to remember that there are many other forms of communication to look for.
Image by Jonas K
If you are in Copenhagen this week it might be worth going by the IT-university. We are having our 2.nd Google Wave meetup there.
This time we will focus on development of gadgets. There will be demonstrations on how gadgets and robots can be created.
Jacob Andersen will show how to create a python robot that can convert a wave to a pdf file. The code can already be found at github http://github.com/jacobandresen/pdf-thingy
Daniel Graversen (me) will talk how to make gadgets using Flex. I just need to create a presentation.
I hope that we can get somebody to tell how wave is useful in their industry.
The event will take place Wednesday the 3 of February. The room number will be availed on Wednesday on the Wave.
For more information look see this Wave.
I finally found a date for the Wave meetup in Copenhagen/København. I proposed the idea in this blog.
On the wave for the event “Wave meetup in København” 8 persons have indicated they are able to attend the meeting. So we will hold a meeting on November 25 2009 at 17-19.
The place will be IT-Universitetet i København, Rued Langgaards Vej 7, 2300 København S. Information about the location will be provided on the blog and on the Wave above.
The agenda at the moment looks like the following.
- The status of wave
- Why we see wave as interesting and our ideas of wave
- SAP and Enterprise Waving (Daniel Graversen)
- Usage of Wave by students (I hope)
- Planing of new meetings
Registration for the event on the Wave, or post a comment on this blog.
If you are from the Copenhagen area, please join the Wave meetup that I’m planing. I would love to be able to meet and talk, with people also passioned about Wave.
It should be possible to find enough people, who would like to be smarter on Wave and share their stories.
I’m planing on holding the event 23-26 november from 17-19. Please indicate on the Wave or on doodle, link below.
If you are on Wave you can join and comment hire http://su.pr/272BSI
Otherwise you can add you comments to the blog, and indicate the days you can at http://su.pr/2Ur9Gs.
The agenda for the meeting looks like the following now.
- What is the status of Wave
- Why are you interested in Wave
- SAP and the Gravity
- Should we have regulary meetings or events
- .. Other areas of interest ..
I do hope to see many there.