Planning meetings with multiply particpants in Wave

For the Google Wave meetup we in Copenhagen today, we did all the planning regarding the meeting in a wave. It did not work out. It was only three participants how showed up to the meetup, and it was all the presenters or organizers. I hope that it is just the weather, but think there could also be some part of the wave usage that could be different.

We did some mistakes that I will probably do again, but at least try to avoid.

• First we did a survey about when to have the meeting, and we had to change the time because it did not fit with the schedule of university where the event should be held.
  • I also asked people to contribute and participate in create an agenda. Most people are not interested in giving presentations, but instead what to learn. Which is why the meeting is taking place.
  • We did not send out reminder mails. It would probably be a good idea to send out reminder mails to all the involved participants in the wave a day or two before. Many people may have mute the wave so they don’t see it as a reminder that an upcoming event is taking place.
  • Did not have a clear RSVP where people could indicate that they were going to attend.

So next time we are going to plan a meetup. We will create an agenda and a place a head of time and then add people to sign up to the event. I if they want then people can contribute to the agenda if they want more topics.

I will also send an email to all persons how have indicated that they would like to come or are coming. That will for me sometimes make it easier to attend.

Planning meetings might be something that will be much easier to do in 12sprints, since you have a much more controlled environment for creating decisions.

I talked with Jacques Holst about planning, and he said the web never had been a one communication strategy. I think we have to remember that there are many other forms of communication to look for.

Image by Jonas K

MasteringWave selected as developer spotlight on TheShinyWave

For the month of February I was selected to the developer spotlight on theshinywave.com. It is a great honor that David Cook has selected med to perform his feature about. I was quite thrilled when, I got a mail with the piggy back on my blog. The thrill did not get any less when I found the blog.

I really appreciate that David finds my applications useful and they latest gadgets are the best.

If you want to try out our newest flash gadgets, all you need to do is to sign up to our newsletter on the right.

2nd Wave meetup in Copenhagen

If you are in Copenhagen this week it might be worth going by the IT-university. We are having our 2.nd Google Wave meetup there.

This time we will focus on development of gadgets. There will be demonstrations on how gadgets and robots can be created.

Jacob Andersen will show how to create a python robot that can convert a wave to a pdf file. The code can already be found at github http://github.com/jacobandresen/pdf-thingy 

Daniel Graversen (me) will talk how to make gadgets using Flex. I just need to create a presentation.

I hope that we can get somebody to tell how wave is useful in their industry.

The event will take place Wednesday the 3 of February. The room number will be availed on Wednesday on the Wave.

For more information look see this Wave.

Using Wave to help Haiti

I got a tweet from Marilyn Pratt about @CrisisCamp was using Google Wave to aid in their organization with regards to their effort in Haiti.

CrisisCamp is using both Wikis and Google Wave for their effort in collaborating with their support. CrisisCamp is about helping NGOs with supporting their technology needs.

Their main wave can be found on this link. The Goal with the Wave is:

Join camps, activities, people and learning in this effort to support Haiti. And do this synchronously and in real time.

It seems that Google Wave will provide a better helping. But it is fair more accessable than a wiki, and you can start with editing with out the hassle of wikis.

I sure hope their efforts will help save lives in Haiti.

Scrum Task board gadget

There as been a taskboard gadget for Google Wave for a long time that we talked about in the Wave calendars first day.  The idea with this gadget was to make it simple to promote ideas between users and make then able to manage the project.

On MasteringWave we have produced a new Taskboard gadget, created in flex where there is spend some more time on the interface to make it look wave-y. The gadget lets you assign users to tasks and view which tasks are unassigned.

I have created a small video demonstrating how the gadget works.

To get access to the link, join our newsletter on the right menu then you will get a link to the gadget. (I need to make some tweeks before I can send it out but it should happen within a few days).

The taskboard gadget fits very well with our other scrum gadget the Wave Planning poker gadget. Do you think there are any tools missing to create a better scrum experience.