It looks like the developer preview will stop on September 30th, and then we must hope we can get an account on the production system. So we will not float without wave access for a long time.
What is interesting is that Douwe Osinga from Google is sharing, what they believe they can achieve before the end of the developer preview.
The things I think is the most exciting news are the following:
- The Robots can use other addresses that email@example.com. That could mean you could have more robots on the same application making the robots tailored to the user. Also we will see that robots will exist on our own servers and not app-engine.
- A better integration between robots in to Wave, so they robot can perform tasks even the wave is not active by a user.
- OpenSocial integration for both robots and gadgets. That is something that I’ll need to look more into.
- Insert simple HTML into the waves. This is not possible now, so the robots can make some better looking content easy. Then we need to consider using CSS on the document.
- Open source the robot API it does not matter much now, but for the adoption that will probably make things easier.
I’m impressed with the plan Google has created for the development of the Google Wave API. I hope they have made some of the improvements already otherwise they will have a hard time implementing them all.